With Insite you can work offline and your information will be synchronised with the cloud the next time you find a stable connection. By default, this includes all information aside from images.
However, as of version 1.11.0, you can opt-in to activate offline image saving. We're testing this feature so it might not be perfect yet. If you decide to activate it, we'd love to hear your feedback and you can turn it back off at any time if you are encountering any issues.
Notes & recommendations:
- As above, images saved offline will be synchronised to the cloud the next time the device finds a stable connection. In the meantime, an orange ↻ icon will appear in the top left corner of unsynchronised images. This will only be available on the device which they were taken/added from as they are not yet online for other devices to see.
- You might find a situation where you can see the items on another device but the images have not yet been uploaded. In this scenario, you will find the Image unavailable placeholder. See Images are unavailable for more information.
- We recommend enabling Save images to camera roll as a safety net if the image upload fails for some unexpected reason.
- With Offline upload enabled, we recommend switching the device to aeroplane mode if you are working in an area with a spotty connection until you are able to find a good mobile or network. This will help to conserve your battery and network usage and will mitigate the risk of synchronisation failures. Each time your device finds a new connection, the images in the queue will start to synchronise again and so it is best that your network is re-enabled once you have access to a stable mobile or wifi network.
To activate offline image saving
1. From the home screen go to Menu > Settings.
2. Tap Images under the General heading.
3. Tap on the switch next to the Offline upload field under the Image heading to choose whether or not to make use of the offline image saving function. If the switch is blue, it will be available. If the switch you will not be able to save images offline.
Note: This currently only affects project images and item images. Uploading a profile image or company logo, or updating your signature is still unavailable even with the Offline upload enabled. See limitations below for more information.
There are a few limitations to note:
- You can create new projects but the device will need to have had a connection at some point whilst the app was open in order for the new project + button to be available on the home screen. This is because we need to validate the subscription in the app session.
- We recommend setting up your projects ahead of time whilst online.
- As above, we recommend setting up your users on the projects ahead of time.
- We recommend waiting until all images have had a chance to sync before trying to generate reports. You can check the status of synchronising images via Home page > Menu > Help > Image sync. Please note that this page does not refresh automatically so you will need to leave it and open it again to get the latest queue. You can also see which images are pending sync on your items, as noted by the orange sync icon in the top left corner of each image.
- If required, you can create templates with images with the Offline image setting disabled - this must be done online. You can then use these templates offline with the switch enabled again.
- We recommend setting these up whilst ahead of time whilst online.