Insite Teams is designed to boost your productivity by taking your audits online and allowing collaboration between your team. However, when collaborating, there are certain rights that some users should have and other users should not. This article will explain the different permissions which are granted to each user role.
There are a total of four roles that you can assign to collaborators on your projects:
- Project Admin
- Read only
- See also Add & invite users to your project (Enterprise plan). Note: only Project Admins are able to add and manage collaborators. Other users can only view the collaborators.
- For an explanation of roles for Team plans, see User roles & permissions explained (Team plan).
- Collaboration is not available on Basic plans.
This article covers two ways to add users to your project:
- General overview of the different roles
- The relevance of your organisation list (plan members)
- Table of all permissions for each role
- The benefits of using Insite Teams collaboratively
As a general overview:
Project Admins have more permissions than Internal users. Such as the ability to manage the collaborators and the project details.
Internal users have more permissions than External users. Such as the ability to create new lists and create and manage templates.
Read only users have the least permissions. They cannot make any changes to the items in lists that they are granted access to.
The relevance of your organisation list (plan members)
Your organisation list is a collection of users who have been added as an Admin or Member of your plan, see Manage plan members. When these users are added to your project as collaborators, they can either be assigned the Admin or Internal role. See Add & invite users to your project (Enterprise plan).
You can also invite people to your projects who are not a part of your organisation list. These users can be added with either of the External or Read only roles.
You can then promote these users by providing them the Internal role; this will add them to your plan and give them the same permissions as the other Internal users. Note: this will also promote them to an Internal user on all of the projects they are a part of under the current plan.
The following table illustrates the exact permissions for each role (before any re-assignment of permissions at a list level):
|Project||Project Admins||Internal||External||Read only|
|View project & details||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Manage project details||✓||×||×||×|
|Archive, unarchive & delete project||✓||×||×||×|
|Add & remove collaborators and update their roles||✓||×||×||×|
|Customise terminology & status groups||✓||×||×||×|
|Manage assignees and locations||✓||✓||×||×|
|Lists||Project Admins||Internal||External||Read only|
|Manage list details||All lists||Their own lists||×||×|
|Delete lists||All lists||Their own lists||×||×|
|*Users can only view lists that have been made available to them. See Update who has access to a list.|
|Items||Project Admins||Internal||External||Read only|
|Add photos and comments||✓*||✓*||✓*||×|
|Update & delete item details, assignees & locations||All items*||Their own items*||Their own items*||×|
|Update item status||All items*||Their own items*||Their own items*||×|
|Create status requests||×*||
On other users' items*
|On other users' items*||×|
|Approve & reject status requests||All items*||Their own items*||Their own items*||×|
|*The settings above are defaults, these can be updated on a list by list basis, see Customising user permissions on each list.|
The benefits of using Insite Teams collaboratively
By using Insite Teams collaboratively, you can:
- Increase efficiency of the audit procedure via
- Collaborative contribution to audits by multiple users, and
- Assignment of tasks within the platform, mitigating the requirement to issue reports via email etc
- Increase the speed of close out via
- The built-in status request procedure, and
- Real-time in-app and email notifications of updates to items
- Improve your records via
- The automated audit trail, and
- Live comments on items and images
Please sign in to leave a comment.