List templates can be used to save time if you have repetitive audits which you may do on a weekly basis, for example. With a template set up, you can create new lists that will contain all of the templated items for you to update with new information as required.
To save you time when setting up templates in Insite, you can prepare your existing inspection forms as a correctly formatted CSV file and import them.
This article explains how you set up new templates or update existing templates using a CSV import.
- This is a browser-only feature and cannot be accessed via the Insite Teams app for iOS or Android.
- Template items can only be imported/updated if you have permission to do so. See User roles & permissions explained for more information on permissions.
- These import files can be created by exporting data from a spreadsheet. For an example see: Import or export text (.txt or .csv) files.
- You cannot directly use a spreadsheet file, it must be exported to .csv format. The file must be in the following format:
- A header row containing
- *note that 'n' represents any number, for multiple assignees you should have one column for assignee_1 and another for assignee_2, etc
- †note that 'n' represents any number, for multiple locations you should have one column for location_1 and another for location_2, etc
- Row under the header representing each template item to be created/updated which defines their details
- A header row containing
- In order to update existing items, the item codes must be included in the import file, otherwise, new items will be created.
- The import feature will flag any up and errors in the CSV file provided. These must be fixed before the changes can be applied.
1. This feature allows you to import template items into an existing template so first, you must go to the template you wish to add/update the items for (if the template doesn't exist yet, see create a new template).
2. Click on the Actions button located on the top right of your screen.
3. Choose Import items using .csv from the menu which pops up.
4. You will now be presented with the Import items using CSV page. From here, you can download a template for the CSV import file. This will include all of the items in your list and all of their details.
5. After updating the CSV template file to match the changes that you wish to make, drop the file into the white box or click Choose to open your file explorer and find the file.
5a. If the headers in your CSV file do not match the standard format, you will be presented with a page where you can match the columns in your file with the Insite item fields. Use the dropdown boxes on the right-hand side to choose which Insite fields the columns in your file should apply to.
6. You will be presented with a table where you can review the items that are about to be created or updated. As per the format of the import file, each row represents an item and if a code has been included, the corresponding existing item will be updated otherwise a new item will be created.
7. From here, you can edit all of the details of your new item apart from the code, assignees and locations. You can also remove items using the ✕ at the end of each row. Any errors will be displayed with a red highlight, these must be fixed by editing the errored fields or removing the items.
8. When you are happy with the details of the items to be created, click on Apply updates in the bottom right of the page. Your changes will be applied and any new items will be created accordingly.